Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Are you a team player or a tribal guy?

I had an oddly unsettling experience this week.  After a certain amount of time in the workplace, you would assume you would get used to getting completely screwed over by someone you've allowed yourself to trust a little.  But I guess I'm just not there yet.  I'm still overwhelmed with disappointment each time someone screws me over that I thought was a team sort of player.

Allow me to explain a theory that I can't take credit for- but a theory that should be shared nonetheless.  My friend Alana is a business guru and one the super connectors that Malcolm Gladwell talks about in The Tipping Point.   Her theory is that there are two kinds of cities- team cities and tribal cities.  In a team city, the residents and business owners work together to bring prosperity to that city.  While their is competition, each team member is wise enough to understand that even competition has to work together sometimes for both to profit.  To translate down a bit, this would be when a restaurant owner or executive chef eats at a competitor's restaurant to enjoy the meal and appreciate the good food.  Or when one agency decides that the client request isn't a competency of their own and subcontracts or recommends the work go to a different agency.

In a tribal city, it's the opposite.  In a tribal city, you have tribes with big kahunas on the top.  Eventually, a big kahuna is going to fall from power and then it's a scramble from the tribe below or a neighboring tribe to take the new position.  It's all about competition.  In terms of Wealth of Nations style economics and capitalism, this kind of city works (in theory). 

The problem with a tribal city or a tribal work style is that you are constantly trying to one up someone else, screw someone over and take down the competition.  The fear of not being the best or owning the most drives you crazy.  The competition is unhealthy and once you reach big kahuna status, in many ways, you stop learning.

In a team city, you still compete, but you recognize the benefits of the competition and understand that it's important to set your ego aside long enough to notice what the competition does well.

Ok, enough on theory.  Let's get back to the story.  This all links together, I swear.

So, I'm a team style player.  A few weeks ago, I went to an American Marketing Association Mixer at Firehouse Lounge in Pittsburgh.  I networked, met a few people, had a drink, and in general, enjoyed myself.  One of the guys I talked with sent me an email request to meet for coffee and learn more about what the other did so that we could possibly help each other in the future.

My job description is tough to understand until you start talking to me, but I'm specifically looking to work with restaurants and food companies on their business models, marketing, and brand image.  This guy worked for an agency in town that dealt mostly in manufacturing.   2 different industries.

I let him know of a couple of example clients I was going after to give him a better idea, he told me about his potential clients, we shook hands and agreed to stay in touch.

The very next day, he called and asked about a particular client I had mentioned I was going after and said he thought he'd be perfect for the position.  Did I think I'd be able to help?

Really? Now I'm all about being a team player, but I'm also not about to give away the opportunities for a new client that fits the profile of work I'd be doing.

This type of screw-you-over behavior is so completely centered on a tribe philosophy that I wondered how I ended up meeting with him and getting the impression he was a team player too.

Granted, he did call to ask me if I would help him, which shows me that although he's a tribe kind of guy, he's a rather stupid one.

So, are you team or tribe?  Let's hope for team.  The business world could seriously use a lot of team players.

No comments:

Post a Comment